Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

How are open sores on the foreskin treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12671 Questions
once, again. I have 2 open sores on my penis under the foreskin . My girlfriend and I recently had vigorous intercourse and it felt as though I'd "rubbed it raw". The next evening, she was very dry, due to a urinary tract infection and I believe that I became infected (creating the sores) from the small cuts or abrasions on my penis. Everything I read say "herpes", but is it necessarily so ?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Open sores on the foreskin are most likely to be due to Herpes.

The other possibility is injury or Balanitis. Most of other disorders are more benign and do start with a rash or redness.
Genital herpes is a very common disease caused by herpes virus type 2. It results in small, very painful blisters (fluid is inside the lesion), genital irritation, itching, they burst into the sores turns into crust, that scab and heal in about 3 weeks.

Special tests include:

Blood tests, Microscopic examination of tissue scrap from lesions, Viral cell culture test.

Direct clinical examination is essential for diagnosing this condition.

First you need to see a doctor, get a swab test to confirm the diagnosis.

You will have to take a course of antiviral drugs and antibiotics.

Refrain from sex until your infection is resolved.

You need to observe good personal hygiene.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor