Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

How are hydroceles in the testicles treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
I am 61, weigh 200 lbs, am 5 11 height and diagnosed recently with a hypercele in my right testicle with an ultrasound.

I recently had back pain and the dr gave me a list of exercises to do (leg lifts, toe touches, etc) which I think maybe caused the hypercele although he says he doubts it.

When I was 40, I had a vacectomy and encounterd a similar problem a few days after surgery. At that time, the Dr drained the fluid with a needle & I was OK until now.

Is there any way to fix this hypercele without surgery (medication) or what about laser surgery or what about draining with a needle aspiration with a sclerosing drug to prevent reaccumulation ?

I really dread being cut open again in this area.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 35 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

I do understand that you have anxiety regarding the surgery for hydrocele.

Hydroceles are not associated with performing exercises for backpain.

Hydroceles are usually not XXXXXXX and they are usually only treated when they cause discomfort or embarrassment, or if they are large enough to threaten the testicle's blood supply.

Since this is a surgical issue, and the collection of fluid is due to a opening in the sac, this cannot be treated with medications.

One option is to remove the fluid in the scrotum with a needle, a process called aspiration. However, surgery is generally preferred. Aspiration may be the best alternative for people who do not want surgery or have certain surgical risks.

Sclerosing (thickening or hardening) medications may be injected after aspiration to close off the opening. This helps prevent the future build up of fluid.

Hydroceles that do not go away on their own over a period of months or which recurr after needle aspiration and sclerosant injection should be evaluated for possible surgery (hydrocelectomy).

You might consult a general surgeon, who can examine you and then perform the procedure for injection of sclerosant after needle aspiration of the hydrocele.

I hope this helps.

I hope this answers your questions and clears your doubts. Please feel free to contact me , if you have additional doubts or questions.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor