Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

How are friction blisters or callus formation treated between fingers ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I am 50, 5'5 I weigh 115 and in good physical condition. I work out with free weights often. I have noticed on my right hand on my 1st and 4th fingers that a small bump right "at the joint " to hand, moves around slightly, on the underside of the finger connected to palm.

It is only painfull IF I put weight on it. Additionally, I noticed just today my First finger on the same right hand, on the top, knuckle, has all OF A SUDDEN developed a small bump, looks like a swelling; no discoloration, round, right at 8 o'clock position to the knuckle if you look at it from the top of the hand more noticible when I make a fist. No pain at all, just was not there last month or even two weeks ago. It is rather noticible when compared to the other left hand. Please advise. Thank you
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 31 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

The bump on the palm of hand can be due to friction blister or callus formation due to your work with free weights. However for the bump on the knuckles of the hand, it can be a ganglion cyst if it is painless or due to gout if it turns painful.

A ganglion cyst is a swelling that often appears on or around joints and tendons in the hand.Mostly they are asymptomatic but if they press on the underlying nerves then they can cause pain and hence have to be removed by aspiration with or without an injection of cortisone medication. Occasionally, the entire ganglion is resected with surgery.

For calluses of hand, apply lots of moisturizing lotion and vit E on the hands. Place protective covering or bandages over the sore to decrease friction on the skin until the sore heals and work with weights using bandages over hands. Rub sandpaper disks or pumice stone over hard thickened regions. Soak hands in warm soapy water to soften calluses.Then rub with a pumice stone and apply some moisturizer.

If still the calluses persist, then you can go in for removal by surgical means or with keratolytic agents (medicines that break up hardened areas of skin). Shaving or cutting off the hardened area on the skin by a doctor is also helpful.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor