Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

How are damaged ligaments and injured muscles repaired ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
About 2 months ago I foolishly did the splits w/o stretching. I'm in my late 30's but am in very good shape and jog 3-4 times a week, also very flexible. I have been having pain in my buttock, lower back and hamstring. Strectching usually makes it worse. I have a slight limp most of the time. I have been seeing a chiropractor and it helps very little. What did I do to myself and can it be fixed?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Well,you could have damaged a ligament or injured a muscle here.Most likely in the hamstrings .When you do a split,the maximum pressure occurs on the upper thighs and the lower back. 2 months is a long time and in case of over stretching of a muscle,that sure would have have healed by now. But since you are still in pain, and limping slightly,you need to rule out the possibility of ligament injury.

You should see a orthopedic surgeon/sports medicine specialist who will do the necessary tests,probably an MRI to confirm the cause. Your condition can be treated. You will need rest and physical therapy. You may also need muscle relaxants.

In the meanwhile, do not attempt new exercises on your own. Take as much rest as possible. You can try applying icepack to the area and use a compression bandage. You may have a grade 2 injury so try using crutches and avoid putting weight on that side.

A professional can help with stretching exercises and even diathermy if required.

I suggest you see a sports medicine specialist.

Hope I have answered your queries. I'm available for your follow ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor