Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

How are damaged leg nerves and vertigo treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 504 Questions
Before we start, let me be clear: I have an account with your company. My chat on Thursday was interrupted when I attempted to extend the chat time. When I did so, the chat vanished. I don't want to be charged now with two chats.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: How are damaged leg nerves and vertigo treated ? 9 minutes later
My original question was directed to a neurologist. There was no medical category related specifically to my question, so I had to choose something to proceed. Do you have my original question about leg nerve damage?
Follow-up: How are damaged leg nerves and vertigo treated ? 3 hours later
Vertigo attack 1/11. Bottom of legs weak after that. Test by local neurologist says leg nerves are damaged;nothing can be done. Muscles can't function properly to regain full equilibrium. Can you confirm the doctor's opinion or is there some kind of solution?
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 5 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Sorry for what happened to you earlier during the chat. You have two problems mentioned here. One is the vertigo and the other one damage to the leg nerves.

Vertigo or a sense of imbalance due to problems either in the inner ear, cerebellum, spinal cord or peripheral nerves in the legs. When there is damage to the nerves in the legs, cerebellum does not get feed back of the position of the body, head, arms and legs in the space. So when you walk you have imbalance and sometimes even falls related to it.

Once a nerve is damaged usually it does not recover back. Only thing what can be done is to prevent further damage to the nerves. This can be done only when we find out what was the cause for the nerve damage. You have Hypothyroidism which can also cause nerve problems over a period of time.

So my advice is to do a like to provide you with specific suggestions once I go through your reports.

Awaiting your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How are damaged leg nerves and vertigo treated ? 7 hours later
I have an appointment with my local neurologist in about three weeks. I don't know the formal name of the leg test he performed. Would this provide the necessary information for you or is the nerve conduction study different? In any case, it will be a while before I can provide whatever you need.
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Thanks for getting back to me.

If the problem is in the nerves as suggested by your Neurologist definitely this test picks up the degree of damage to the nerves. If the problem is in the spinal cord or cerebellum then this test will be normal. So we will wait for the Neurologist to order for the tests. Mean time you need to take some precautions. If you fell dizzy while getting up or walking see that you support yourself or sit or lie down untile it disappears. This will prevent falls in you. Be careful when you are walking in the dark and on slippery surface. Walk with your feet placed wide apart as this will improve your balance. Ok then take care till you XXXXXXX your Neurologist.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor