How are antibiotics given to a 2 year old?

General Surgeon
Question
My two year old son refuses to take antibiotics when he is sick, we have tried various methods like giving it with choclate or any food item, but he simply spits it out. Request you to advise why would he be refusing medicine and what remedy can I as a father use to resolve this.
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Relationship

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic to be used only when necessary

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Many of the antibiotic have bitter taste ir bitter after effect which many babies don't like.
Antibiotics are to be only for specific indication. They are the most widely abused drug. If the baby is doing well, accepting feeds well, no signs of active infection then antibiotics can be withheld.
One way of giving medicine is pinch the cheek on both sides inwards using thumb and middle finger and then giving the medicine. Keep it presses till he swallow.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon