Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

How are ADHD and memory loss treated in children ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 379 Questions
11yr old twin boys with klippel fiel, one has first 3 cervicla vertbra fused since birth, the other has platyobasia with th efirst vertabrea fused to skull. both have dyslexia symtoms and working memory probs and adhd but both are very intelligent is it all related to the condition
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 7 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Its not uncommon for many neurological issues to coexist. Often as a part of the same problem, though not defining the same problem verbatim.

Most neurological syndromes including Klippel fiel will be likely to have associated ADHD,memory and learning issues. Also, boys with these issues are likely to be intellectually superior than peers, they will do much better if they have no issues with speech. These issues are not directly related to fusion of vertebrae.

I am also worried about the issues with limb anomalies, renal anomalies, deafness and other neurodeficit that may create more problems.

Sorry for delay, hope you could get your query answered with this explanation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How are ADHD and memory loss treated in children ? 15 hours later
no one has mentioned limb problems, renal problems,or other neurodeficit problems, both have had and passed the basic hearing tests although neither twin can hear the sounds(phonics )inwords to spell them correctly indicating a brain rather than hearing problem. please advise me as a parent what i should be looking for as doctor said will treat any problems as they arise but no on esaid what they were or like i say what we should be looking for i would be grateful for the advise
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 8 hours later

As mentioned above and suspected by you or else, there is a chance to have many such problems associated. So child needs to be screened for heart or kidney issues, and also for ADHD and learning disability.

As I had mentioned earlier, those who have no speech issues do better, now I may doubt your perception of their intelligence, as you said they cant understand the speech-phonics at age 11. were the children put through any IQ or intelligence test? A Psychologist can do it or Child Development Specialist can also do it.

What I feel that you may take a print out of this discussion and these issues with doctor or nurse you are in touch with in your area. Also children may need occupational therapist, speech therapist, hearing aid trials. If any issues are felt left out, the specialist there can really look in for betterment.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor