question-icon

How accurate is a HSV IgG test?

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016
Question: I was visually diagnosed in 2008 from some small, pimple like growths in the shorts region. I tested 3 months after that (IGG herpselect through quest diagnostics). It came back negative <.90. Since then I have been on anti-viral medication on and off and have tested multiple time while on and off the medication. All tests came back negative 5-6 tests over the past 4 years. However, I still have some redness and itching in the genital area sometimes. I need to be sure but want to know the accuracy of these tests given the circumstances I just described. Should I believe the IGG blood tests from Quest? Is there a more accurate test I can take if not?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (38 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
The test is reliable and conclusive

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I am dr.kakkar(dermatologist). I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern.

IgG -ve on multiple occasions is conclusive evidence that you dont have infection with herpes virus. This lab test is reliable and i dont think there is a need to do any further testing. It is an antibody based test and is very reliable and specific if Hsv IgG result turns up as negative more than 12-16 weeks after a possible infection.

Your skin condition could be related to some other etiology. I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected area so that i am able to guide you better. You may upload images either in "Reports Section" Or you may mail me the images at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line of this mail as Attention: Dr.kakkar.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. (1 hour later)
Thank you Dr. Kakkar. I will upload pictures at another time when I feel the symptoms are prevalent. Is that Okay. Also, can you clarify two additional things related to my original question? How much of an effect would taking acyclovir for suppressive therapy affect the results? Also in a monomogous relationship, and using condoms and would like to be 100% sure as I may consider not doing both.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (10 hours later)
Brief Answer:
No effect of acyclovir on lab test

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You can upload images later.

Acyclovir for suppressive therapy would have no effect whatsoever on the lab test for hsv. It does not affect antibody levels.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist