Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

How accurate is a HIV 1&2 antibody test with preliminary conformation?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

HIV AIDS Specialist
Practicing since : 1974
Answered : 2714 Questions
How accuate is a HIV 1&2 antibody test with preliminary Conformation,weater Blot i believe after 51 days
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
HIV Antibody test after 3 months highly reliable

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query.
HIV antibody tests detects antibodies against HIV. Body will take some time to produce antibodies against HIV inside our body it is infected with HIV. That time interval is called as window period. For HIV infection the the window period is around 8-12 weeks. So if the test done after 12 weeks or 3 months then the test becomes reliable up to 97-98% as the tests marketed are highly specific. When repeated with another type of antibody test then the specificity goes up to 100% when the are put together. When there is a controversy between these two results a third test is preferred.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor