How accurate is a 4th generation test for HIV?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: How accurate is a 4th generation test for HIV?
Is Dr. Lal path lab reliable? I did hiv test from there. I gave blood just after lunch at XXXXXXX Received result through Web next day till evening. They said the test done from XXXXXXX XXXXXXX lab. Through customer care they confirmed it.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a very reliable lab

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have read your query and I have understood your concern.

Yes, Dr.Lal Path Lab is a trustworthy lab.
A screening test at Dr.Lal Lab for Hiv would usually include an assay for both circulating Hiv P24 Antigen and an Anti-Hiv Antibodies. This is the latest 4th generation test for Hiv screening. A negative test result for this screening combo test rules out Hiv from as early as 2 weeks onwards the last risky sexual contact; P 24 Antigen appears in circulation and is detectable as early as 2 weeks after Hiv infection.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
I am 38 years male. I have unprotected sex with Commercial Sex worker on May 2014. After one week started granular pharyngitis with dry cough. After one year still it continues. Not for a single day I got relief. 
I tested for HIV 27th September 2014 (CMIA 3rd Gen), then 28th December 2014 (CMIA 3rd Gen), then 4th January 2015 (Tri dot method). All negative. 

Question 1. Are the test results conclusive? Is there any chance of HIV despite the negative result. (I did not have any further exposure). 
Question 2. I did the test in XXXXXXX private pathology lab called Serum Analysis Center Pvt Ltd and Tri dot test from a local lab. Are these labs reliable? 
Question 3. I did one more test on 4th August 2015 from Dr. Lal path Lab. It was 4th Generation test with Index value 0.1. Result negative. Is it a reliable pathology laboratory? I gave blood sample in XXXXXXX before lunch. Received result online next day evening. They said the test was done in New XXXXXXX  
Question 4. I did not consult with any HIV specialist, did all test by myself approached to lab. Are these results reliable? 

Very much under stress
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Answers to specific questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Answer to question 1. Third generation tests are antibody based tests. These are all conclusive because they were well past the window period of detection for Hiv anibodies which is 3 months. These tests conclusively declare you negative for Hiv.

Answer to question 2. Yes, these are reliable labs.

Answer to question 3. Dr. Lal is a reliable lab. 4 th generation tests are superior to third generation tests because they can detect infection as early as 2-4 weeks after infection. This is because they detect both P 24 antigen (which appears earlier) as well as antibodies against Hiv. Apart from its advantage over 3rd generation test in terms of early detection of Hiv infection, it offers no other advantage over 3rd generation antibody tests.
Actually there was no need to do this test as you were conclusively declared negative by 3 rd generation tests.

Answer to question 4. No need to consult an Hiv specialist. You may however consult an ENT specialist fpr Pharyngitis.