Hot flashes on face. Having OCD and anxiety. What could be the underlying cause?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello my 21 year old son has had facial flushing and hot flashes to the face only. He will ecome hot in the face just sitting on the couch. He has never had acne and he has suffered with it no since the facial flushing began.He has OCD and anxiety,mood swings now and gets angry easily and very depresse over this which keads him to bits of rage. We have had a bunch of tests including the 24 hour urine test for carcinoid cancer which came back high the first time and normal the second time. Could it be cushings disease or a thyroid, serotonin or adrenal problem? He has yeast issues also.
Answered by Dr. Arun 4 hours later
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
As you think, hot flushes usually indicate histamine and serotonin release.
Usual causes include hypertension, high thyroid function, adrenal function ie cushings.
First have his blood pressure checked for three times when he is at rest.
Next would be thyroid and cortisol levels.
Wishing your son speedy recovery.
Let me know if I could help further.
Dr Arun