Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Hoarseness and dry cough. Chest x-ray done. What are the findings and required treatment?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
Had Chest X-ray as I had been having hoarseness and some dry coughing for about a month. Chest xray showed "mild biapical pleural thickening appear stable. Mild blunting of the posterior costophrenic sulci is likely on the basis of mild pleural thickening rahtner than trace pleural fluid. Lungs and pleural spaces otherwise appear clear.

I am extremely anxious what this could mean. I am scheduled for a chest CT in a few days. I am 52, female, non smoker and active.
I should mention that I had a chest x XXXXXXX at the same facility one year ago and they compared that sray to the one I just had. I assume that is why they said the Mild biapical pleural thickening appearing stable. Thanks
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 5 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with hoarseness of voice.
Do you fever/ loss of appetite/ fatigue/ respiratory distress?
Do you past history of exposure to dust/ asbestos?
Do you have past history of any injury in defined area?

Pleural is a membrane which covers lungs.
Pleural thickening never indicates some sort of active disease but indicates past healing of an active pathology.
There are multiple causes for pleural thickening and includes such as exposure to asbestos, tubular infection, fungal infection, past abscess formation in defined area, and could be due to hematoma(after injury with collection of blood).

With the available symptoms and x XXXXXXX report, there appears to be possibility of laryngitis which could be due to smoking or viral infection induced.
As pleural thickening is not associated with active disease, there appears to be least chances of lungs pathology.
Comparison between two x XXXXXXX is always recommended to rule out fresh changes.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ chest physician & ENT surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete hemogram, erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), sputum examinations both routine microscopy and culture & sensitivity.
Direct laryngoscopy (examination of larynx; voice producing structure in our body) is essential as you have hoarseness of voice.
You should also go for CT scan chest for better clarification of lungs status.
Persistent smoking causes mucosal injury with inability to clear phlegm or dryness in mouth with encroachment on lower respiratory tract.

You should try to quit smoking with help of nicotine dermal patches or use of chewing gums.
Meanwhile, you should give rest to your voice for recovery of hoarseness of voice.
You should take cough suppressants, benzanotate and throat soothing medicines.
Use of antibiotic depends if you are getting fever or not.
You should also perform gargles three times in a day; with a glass of lukewarm water and a pinch of salt.

Let me know the results of CT scan and laryngoscopy.
Hope that helps.
Kindly post any query which I can answer humbly.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor