Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Hives on legs, rash on inner thigh. Any over the counter treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3617 Questions
Hi Dr. I have been breaking out with hives and on my legs and rash my inner thighs I haven't Or use for about a month and a half. Yet it still continues to affect me. I feel fine sober other than that the rash that just keeps appearing. Is there anything that I can do or over-the-counter treatment that I can purchase ?or do I have to wait to my whole body detoxes from at for months?
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Hives commonly occur due to allergic reaction. As long as you are in contact with the offending agent you will continue to get the hives which may be persistent of intermittent.

I would suggest you to get a test called “Absolute eosinophil count” which helps to confirm that the reaction you have is a allergic one. Also you may have to find the substance which is triggering such reaction and avoid it to get rid of such hives.

Meanwhile do take a dose of Tab Benadryl once in night after food for 3 days. Benadryl is available over the counter; you can obtain the same without any prescription.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Hives on legs, rash on inner thigh. Any over the counter treatment? 14 minutes later
Hi Doc,
You haven't told me anything I haven't already tried thats why this is so fustrating.
One exection is Absolute eosinophil count test you suggest. I have no insurance and I get my care through free clinics. Does this require a specailist type doctor?
Other than that I'm right back where I started.
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 33 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I have mentioned a test to confirm the diagnosis and a basic treatment for the hives which is available over the counter.

No, you may not need a specialist to get the test done. You can discuss about the test with your GP in the clinic.

Considering the presentation of the hives you have, I believe an antihistaminic like Benadryl would help well and also is the only preparation amongst which is available over the counter. There are other antihistaminics which may help better like Cetirizine, Levocetrizine, Chlorodiphenhydramine etc but you will need a hand written prescription by a specialist for the same.

Do apply Calamine lotion over the lesions which will provide some relief in the form of soothening.

Hope, I answered your doubts.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor