Hives on forehead and neck after taking flu shot. No change after taking prednisone and atarax. Suggest treatment

Dr. Polash Sannigrahi

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Last week Friday 10/18 I had my flu shot Monday morning I started noticing hive on my forehead and neck with achy joints I started taking Zyrtec and Benadryl Tuesday night my hives were out of control ,tongue and lips swollen called 911 and was transported to Reston hospital Paramedics injected epipen med and shot of Benadryl In hospital I received shot of steroid and Benadryl and pain medicine Discharged home today I am on day three of prednisone 4 mg and Atarax 25 mg With Benadryl and inhaler called pro air HFA Still itching with patches of hives traveling Joint we're all swollen even my hills Now it's better Could all this be because of flu vaccine and my auto immune system recognized a foreign dead virus ans started to work hard, Thanks
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly provide few more details Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. As the flu vaccine contains dead virus, an allergic reaction to it is very rare. However, an individual can be allergic to other constituents of the vaccine like delivering agent or preservative agent of the vaccine. Since you took the vaccine on Friday & symptoms appeared on Monday, it can be either a delayed hypersensitivity reaction to the constituents of the vaccine or due to an immediate hypersensitivity reaction to some other allergen not related to the flu shot. Regarding the symptoms as mentioned in your post, kindly let us know about the following: 1. Do you have an allergy to eggs? 2. Any previous history of similar allergic reactions? 3. What were you doing when you first noticed the symptoms (hive on forehead and neck with achy joints)? 4. Since how many days you are taking Levothyroxine & Triamterine? A knowledge of the above mentioned questions will be helpful in understanding your concern better. Hoping to hear from you soon. Wish you a good health. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 21 hours later
Thank you for your help, 1- not allergic to eggs as I know. 2- I had this same symptoms two years ago due to hearing a very bad news family related, at that time It was gradual and my throat did not close. 3- I was at work nothing unusual, first I noticed the rashed appearing on my forehead and neck 4- I have been taking Triamtrinh for the past 10 years, levothroxine for the past 5 years Thanks Dr Sannigrahi
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 35 hours later
Brief Answer: Delayed hypersensitivity reaction to viral protein Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your follow up query. Based on your case history, the symptoms can be attributed to delayed hypersensitivity reaction to viral proteins. Swelling in throat is due to angioedema, which was not present during the symptoms in previous episode 2 years ago. The medications given by your Doctor are correct, kindly continue them as advised. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. And if you take any vaccination in the near future, then please be careful & the administering Doctor should be made aware of this. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.