Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Hit right hand fingers against a wall. Experiencing stiffness and pain. Diabetic. Suggest the treatment?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Dear Doctor, I am 70 year old male. A few months back i hit my right hand fingers against the wall and had severe pain which later subsided. But after few days again i have again hit in the same way . I had severe pain which later subsided. But after a few days I have been experiencing stiffness and pain in the right hand fingers which eases out during the course of the day. Ortho has taken a X XXXXXXX and did RH factor test. Both of them are negative.He ruled out rheumatoid arthritis, since i have stiffness in one hand only.He prescribed Aceproxivon.But no result. My physician prescribed Meoxon plus. But no result.Another physician has said that this is due to damage to nerve and tendons in the hand. He said it is nerve paiourn and prescribed GABANEURON 150 mg a day. I have been taking since yesterday (14th Sept 2013) I wish to know your opinion in this regard. Please suggest your course of treatment. I am diabetic since 2 years but it is well under control. I am sure this pain is becos of the fingers hit against wall 3 or 4 times.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be due to muscle or ligament injury.

Detailed Answer:

In my opinion your problem seems to be due to muscle and ligament strain . As your fingers hit against wall 3 or 4 times , musculature inside your fingers not get proper time to heal the injury. This continuous strain eventually causes significant injury inside.
As your injury is already of few months duration and it still hurts, there could be a bit significant injury inside. An MRI scan of the involved area is necessary to assess the exact extent of injury to the musculature inside. Momentarily try the following measures and see if they can help you
- REST the injured area and avoid doing any activities that causes pain
- Use analgesic anti-inflammatory medications like Advil or Aleve to reduce the pain and inflammation.
- Once the severity of pain decreases, gradual and mild stretching exercises of fingers are begun along with moist heat fomentation of the painful area so as to increase the blood supply to the underlying muscles and also the relax them. Gentle massaging of the painful area with anti-inflammatory gel may also help.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Hit right hand fingers against a wall. Experiencing stiffness and pain. Diabetic. Suggest the treatment? 3 hours later
Thank you for your advise. I have a few questions. 1. Do I have to wear some support to my middle finger or do i have to wear someice wrist band for rist pain? Can I apply ice to the effected part or heat treatment? Can i work on my commputer? Can i take brufen ? Do you suggest best gel ?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following are answers to your questions.

Detailed Answer:

It is better to wear some support to middle finger for some time. Also you can wear wrist band for wrist pain.
You can use ice and heat treatment both alternatively. Apply ICE over the painful area to decrease the pain and HEAT treatment to decrease the stiffness of fingers and to relax them.
Do not work on computer with injured fingers.
You can take brufen 400 mg with meals as and when required to reduce pain and inflammation.
I suggest you diclonac transgel for local application.

Hope I have justified your queries. I welcome any clarifications

Wishing you speedy recovery...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor