Hit my head. Now getting headache. Reason for this pain?

Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Head Injuries
Question: I bumped into the kitchen cabinet very hard one week ago. I still have a visible egg shaped yellow-green area with a sore spot in the middle. However, I am having headaches like with shooting pains for a few seconds on the top of my head and in the back of my head. I am a long distance runner. Should I continue my training? Also, I am very tired, so much that I took the day off from training YYYY@YYYY I do not know the terms and conditions
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 8 hours later

I think you should consult a doctor.

Yellow XXXXXXX area with a tender spot might be due to infection in the haematoma (collection blood beneath the skin) at the site of injury.

This could be the reason for shooting pains that you are having.

As far as XXXXXXX head injury is concerned, the chances are very less likely as one week has already passed.

As you are having severe pain, not allowing you to work properly, a medical examination is must.

You can continue your activity after visiting a doctor and get treated for this.

In mean time please do following which should help.

Take analgesics you are comfortable with.
Take proper rest
Apply local antibiotic cream that you have with.

I hope this helps.

Dr.Pragnesh