Hit head, got a bump and having headache. Is this normal?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi, about a week ago , I slipped and hit the back of my head . I did not lose consciousness, but had a bump on my head and ever since then a headache , a dull headache, a sort of full feeling, strangely on the right front side of my head. The bump was on the back left. I took it easy the same day, then went back to normal. I am a little concerned Thank you for advice..
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

The headache in your case is related to the head injury. There is a phenomenon called as coup-contre coup injury in cases of head injury. In this situation, an injury occurs on exactly opposite side of brain where the head got hit (in addition to the place of direct injury).

Most likely, the injury is minor and would settle down on its own. However, if headache persists or if you develop vomiting, you may get a CT scan of the head done.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist