History of vitiligo on penis. Noticed spots on penis. Chances of getting herpes from hand job?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi, I had a erotic massage on 21 Dec with hand job. I've been told that you cannot get Herpes from a handjob but I'm not convinced. I'm circumcised and masturbate often, with and without lube (normal body/hand lotion). I also shaved the pubic area a couple of days before. Immediately after the session, I felt a stinging sensation on my penis. I've felt this before and have had fissures develop in the past, that were rather painful. This one looked like a dark grayish cut/sore under the leftside of the glands. It developed within a few days of the event. It did not produce any discharge or scab but tender to the touch. It's now been 10 days since the event in question and is starting to heal but still sensitive to the touch. It does not hurt to urinate nor does urine cause any discomfort to the sore (I tried) and no discharge from my penis. There's just a low pain that even spread to my testicles. I even went to have a STD screening done for possible herpes infection (waiting for results). Past medical history is I have Vitiligo on the penis as well and Furunucliosis on my lower extremities. I've had skin problems for years.

My concern, is I did have an another adulterous affair with a known female (I've known for 22 yrs and is married) approx. 45 days ago with unprotected intercourse. She has reported no concerns. What do you think it may be. I have pictures if you want to see.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
Ive gone through the details and the images.
I assume white spot visible on your penis is vitiligo.Sometimes genital herpes also leaves such hypopigmented spots.Did you had any ulcer/vesicular fluid filled lesion there.
The lesions on your penis do not resemble any STD at present.only possibility is herpes which has shortest incubation period and present as early as 1-2 days.
Most likely cause in your case is irritant balanitis.
It is non specific response of penile skin to irritation, friction etc.
You can apply hydrozole cream over the area.it is combination of a mild steroid and antifungal cream.It will take care of the symptoms over glans penis.
Also I would like to know-
Did you had any cuts over the penis at the time of exposure?
Did the girl had any visible sores/ulcers on the hands?
Do you ever had herpes labialis or genital herpes in life?

Have you had fever/swollen glands in groin?
Answer the question and we can continue the discussion here.
Hope this helps.
Regards .
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 44 minutes later
1. I do not believe so
2. She had no visible marks of any kind. Very healthy looking skin/face
2. No Herpes but did have Gonorrhea in 1989. Cleared up with meds
3. No swelling in groin
4. Vitiligo has been the since 2009.

Would Balantis cause low pain groin, especially at night? How do get it and isit contagious?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for the details .
Balanitis can be infective or non infective.
It can be contagious. Candidial balanitis is transmissible.As you are circumcised the risk is very low for contagious one.It is most likely to be due to friction and irritation in your case.It can cause low grade pain in groin.
You should apply hydrozole cream and take some analgesics like ibuprofen for pain.
This should clear it in a weeks time.
Hope this helps.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Thanks Dr., I have Clobetasol Propionate 0.05% and Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.1% that I use for the Furnucliosis, would that work? Or is that too strong. I've already used the Clobtasol for 3 days and it's clearing up but worried it may be too strong. BTW I Should get my STD test back Friday. I'm really hoping you're correct. Thanks for the help
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 19 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
Clobetasol propionate is to strong.Avoid using it.
Triamcilonone can be used for 1 week at the most.
Beclomethasone is a mild steroid and can be used over genitals for longer time.

Inform me the results of test.
I will be available for follow up.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 16 hours later
Dr, I got the results back today, all negative for 8 types of STDs tested including Herpes and HIV. Can't find Hydrozole here in the US, so I'm using a combo of Hyrdocortizone-10 and Neosporin ointment. Seems to to be working but still have some tenderness in region. Learned my lesson for sure and thanks for the help.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Its good to know that all your test results are negative.Continue using hydrocortisone cream.The tenderness in groin will subside gradually.
Avoid such exposure in future.
Wishing you good luck.
If you are satisfied with the answer please accept it and rate it at the end.
Dr Sudarshan