Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

History of type 1 diabetes. Sore on membrane connecting lower lip and gum. Smoker

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12739 Questions
I am a 42 yr old woman with a history of Type 1 diabetes. I am 5'9 and weigh 164 lbs. I have had a sore on one side of the membrane connecting my lower lip and gum. It is very very sore. I have had it for about a month now and have tried rinsing with salt water but it doesn't help. I have had a dentist look at it. He cleaned my teeth and said ity should go away with in a week because I had tarter build up on my lower teeth. That was about 2 weeks ago. I am a smoker.
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The oral ulcer that you are having is persistent for one month. You need to get your blood glucose levels checked. An uncontrolled diabetes delays the healing.
You need to consult a dentist and get a systemic antibiotic prescribed. Oral hygiene is of great importance in treating and preventing periodontal disease and you should brush twice daily and floss your teeth.

Also try restricting sugar as it is is known to significantly increase plaque accumulation by feeding the bacteria that cause the infection while decreasing white blood cell function. Fresh fruits, and vegetables, whole grains, and fiber should be taken and take plenty of sardines, canned salmon, dark XXXXXXX leafy vegetables (spinach, collards, XXXXXXX turnip greens, mustard mustard greens) broccoli, brazil nuts, tofu and all soy products, sunflower seeds. Also take calcium supplements in diet and change your toothpaste brand and avoid using mouthwashes.

In addition get tartar removed regularly and use enzymatic agents containing lysozyme, lactoperozidase, glucose oxidase, mutanase, and dextranase. You can also use mouth washes containing chlorhexidine or hydrogen peroxide. You can get them prescribed from your dentist.
In case the ulcer persists, then a biopsy from ulcer margin is recommended to rule out malignancy.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor