Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

History of recurrent cancer, ileostomy and reverse ileostomy. Having continual diarrhea. Any suggestions?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2212 Questions
I have had pelvic radiation after a cancer tumor removal in 2002, I had recurrent cancer and surgery in 2010. I had an ileostomy, a reverse ileostomy, part of the sigmoid colon removed, part of the rectum removed. Since all this I have continual diarrhea. It has gotten worse in the last year. I can barely leave the house. I have taken opium, Imodium, Questen and a few other things. Nothing seems to mitigate it. i no longer have a solid bowel movement, it is always watery and now it is burning and yellow, very painful. Would you have any suggestion who to see or what to do? I have seen a gastroenterologist who was a complete waste of my time. He told me to eat strong colored veggies and stay away from onions, garlic, etc. please help.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestions below...

Detailed Answer:

I have read your concerns carefully, and I am sorry for the situation you are in.

Let me tell you first that burning, yellow and painful bowel movement is due to persistent diarrhea. You have done all the necessary to overcome it. Now, while waiting for improvement, you can take oral dehydration salts to avoid dehydration.

Next, please bare in mind that diarrhea is partially explained by the colon you have removed (because colon is the place where water is mostly absorbed).

I would recommend to continue your follow-up with the gastroenterologist. If you do not like the one you had, you can change doctor, it is your right. But, do not stop seeing the gastroenterologist (GE), you can have the second opinion by a surgeon if GE would judge.

Diet changes are also very important to sustain your health. If you cannot follow them on your own, please ask for help (family, relatives, friends, institutions). Get helped!

At last, we can do what it's up to us; the rest is up to the Almighty!

All the best!


p.s. Do not hesitate to write back to me if you have other concern.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor