History of muscle twitching mainly in legs. Having stiffness. Taking caffeine doing weights. Related?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 31 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,
I have a history of muscle twitching mainly in the legs starting 3 months ago (twitching for about 1-2 weeks followed by vibrations 6 weeks and then subsiding but still occasionally present. Factors associated could be caffeine intake and doing some weights a few days prior to onset.
There is now stiffness and tightness with pain present sometimes in the legs.

I am not sure if I should see a neurologist for the condition or whether an orthopaedic specialist or indeed a rheumatologist in case it's immune system related. I am sure a neuro-muscular specialist would be helpful but under which specialty would this sub-specialty be most often found or is it not the right specialist to help?

Thankyou.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
The most likely causes for the twitching in your legs are
1... High levels of stress,anxiety,nervousness or excitement or anger.
2... Consumption of excess of alcohol or caffeine.
3... Low levels of calcium,potassium,magnesium etc
4... Low levels of Vitamin B12
5... Use of medicines like anti asthmatics,anti seizure,weight loss medicines etc
6.. Certain disorders like hyperthyroidism or hypoparathyroidism.

I would advise you to get tested for above mentioned causes,stop alcohol and caffeine,do regular stress buster exercises like deep breathing exercises and yoga and taking good nutritious diet. You can also start with vitamin B complex supplements.
If some deficiency comes in your tests,then take those supplements.

You should be all right with these measures in next 6 to 8 weeks but if you don't find any change in you or your symptoms worsen,then you must consult a neurologist for proper evaluation.He will be the best person to guide you regarding this.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for the detailed write-up. Given some of the factors you've listed as a possible triggering cause along with the strained muscles at a local level, possibly from exercise or light weights, would you recommend total rest or would light exercise be in any way beneficial? The light exercise may involve areas of twitching and stiffness, which are mainly the legs.

Regards.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It is best to take a total rest, do a hot fomentation and start taking electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids. You should feel better in two weeks.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.