History of hyperthyroid and mild borderline hypertension. On medication. Suggest diet plan

Grace
Grace Abraham

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Diet Plans
Question: Dear Sir/Madam,

Male : 35 Years , Ht : 168 cms., Weight : 71.5 Kgs , Weist : 35 inches.

I have a history of Hyperthyroid and Mild-borderline Hypertension ( 140/95 )

Higher LDL Cholesterol and HbA1c of 5.8 (borderline)

Moderate Excercise & Vegiterian

I am on Following medicine

Methimazole 5 mg/OD ( for hyperthyroid )
Nebivolol 1.25 mg/OD ( for mild-borderline HT )
Rosuvastatin 2.5 mg/OD ( for high cholesterol )

If you want any other specific data plz. Ask.

Plz. Advise for suiable diet plan.My objective is to reduce or ommit above medicines doses as possible.

What kind of oil is to be used and what is no to be used. Becauase so much confused from internet published data and public domain speaking.

Presently we are using Suffola Gold ( Saflower oil + Rice bean oil ) and sometimes Corn oil alternatively.

Answered by Grace Abraham 1 hour later

It would be great if you can give me your daily routine eating habit from morning until night, and give the frequency of consuming the following foods in a week:
Paneer, Sweets or chocolates, soft drinks, fruit juices, bakery foods, alcohol or smoking habits, and also about your physical activity that you’re doing on a regular basis with the duration.

Kindly reply with details that will help me to plan your diet chart.
Grace Abraham

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Grace Abraham 2 hours later

Morning ( 8 : 30 AM ) - Tea + Khakhara or Biscuits ( 4 Nos.)
Morning ( 9 : 30 AM ) - Tea - sugarless
Noon ( 1: 30 PM) – Lunch : 4 chapaties + Vegitable Subji + Vegitable Salad
Afternoon ( 2:00 PM ) - Tea - sugarless
Afternoon ( 4:30 PM ) - Tea - sugarless
Evening ( 8: 30 PM ) Dinner : 2 chapaties + Vegitable Subji ( Occasionally Khichadi / XXXXXXX / Rice ) with buttermilk sometimes.
Late Evening ( 10:30 PM) : Cow Milk – 1 Cup with mentioned medicine

usually I avoid to take Ghee / Butter / Cheese
Paneer – vary rare
Chocolate – Never
soft – cold drinks – Never
Ice-cream – vary vary rare
Alcohol or smoking habits – No
Fruit juice – once glass a week
bakery food – occasionally
Sweet one to two times in a week

water total : 2.0 Ltrs / day

Physical activity – Moderate ( one hour gym incldes – 30 Mins aerobics and 15 mins stretching excercises and 15 mins upper body excercies )

Mention the type of oil which to be used and oil which is to be avoided. ( name and type of oil )

Request to refer history and medicine taken as above corrospondence.

Specifically mention about diet for hyperthyroidism.
Answered by Grace Abraham 40 minutes later

Thanks for the reply.

According to your height and weight, your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 25.3 kg/m, which is overweight; the normal BMI range is from 18.5-24.9 kg/m. Ideal body weight for your height should be from 63 kg to 68 kg. Initially you can have a target of losing half kilo in a week, which will aid in reducing 2 kg in a month. Gradual reduction of weight will help not to regain the lost weight.
Since your HbA1c values are in borderline, it is necessary to avoid sugars completely atleast for a month and redo the fasting & post prandial blood sugars levels for further management.

There are some foods which you need to avoid, restrict and allowed, they are as below:
Foods to be avoided: Glucose, sugars, honey, jaggery, all sweets, chocolates, ice creams and candies.

Foods to be restricted: ( Not to be taken more than once in a week) Vegetables like Potatoes, yam, arbi, sweet potatoes; Fruits like mango, bananas, sapota, seethaphal,jackfruit, Pineapple and avocado . Alcoholic beverages, carbonated beverages ,fried foods, Dry fruits and nuts, salad dressings like mayonnaise, cream ,etc, cakes and pastries, Tender coconut water, Refined flours like maida .Papad, Pickle, soda bicarbonate, MSG, sauces, Ketchup’s.

Foods to be used freely: XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, tomatoes, cucumber. Radish, carrot, homemade soups. Tea, Coffee without sugar, and skimmed milk, buttermilk. Whole wheat flour, Ragi, Corn flakes, Wheat flakes.

Artificial sweeteners not more than 4 numbers/pellets per day. Only one fruit allowed in a day.

Try to follow the below advises when planning your diet:
- Restrict rice to one meal in a day, which includes idli, dosa, or any preparation made out of rice etc.
- Have an early morning snack like Tea without sugar along with two fiber biscuits and a late night snack like a glass of Skimmed Milk without sugar or a fruit.
- Breakfast - should be a heavy meal of the day. Have Chapathi or Roti without ghee with more vegetables instead of kakra's or biscuits.
- At around 10.30-11 am, have a fruit (any one mentioned in the list) or XXXXXXX tea without sugar & honey with some biscuits.
- Lunch - take roti's preferably without ghee or oil, with dhal , vegetables and a salad with skimmed buttermilk without salt.
- Have a light evening snack like Poha - ½ cup, or wheat bread vegetable sandwich- 2 slices or boiled legumes like channa , rajma or sprouts with cucumber & tomato - 1 Katori.
- Try to have an early dinner before 8.30pm, preferably Chapathi without oil, or broken wheat dahlia /upma prepared with vegetables, and avoid rice or any rice preparation.
- Use more of fiber XXXXXXX foods in the diet, like raw vegetables, sprouts, Whole legumes like channa, Rajma.etc
- Take six small meals instead of three big meals which are equally time spaced.
- Include XXXXXXX Leafy vegetables at least twice in a week.
- Daily physical activity of 30 - 45 minutes in a day is recommended.

Recommended oil usage is half liter of oil per person per month. Preferable combination of vegetable oils or blended oil which are readily available now days. Saffola is good, but only half a litre to be used per person.

The following the recommendations for hyperthyroidism:
1.     Avoid foods high in iodine, such as seafood, iodized salt, eggs, curd, and milk.
2.     Eat cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli, preferably raw.
3. XXXXXXX leafy vegetables like mustard greens, spinach and XXXXXXX are believed to depress the function of your thyroid.
4.     Consume flaxseed oil and ground flaxseeds, as they are ideal sources for Omega 3 fatty acids and Vitamin D from eggs, salmon, mackerel and mushrooms.
5.     Soybeans and soy products can help an over-stimulated thyroid.
6.     Whole grains like millet and brown rice, combined with nuts and seeds are XXXXXXX sources of zinc, an important element necessary for the body functions that might be depleted due to hyperthyroidism.
7.     Avoid alcohol, smoking, tea, coffee, colas, and chocolates.

Hope I answered your query.
Kindly revert back for any further clarifications

Grace Abraham.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Grace Abraham 54 minutes later
What could be the specific diet for High cholesterol ( diet which can reduce Higher LDL ) in daily routine our foods.

Because i heard that food which reduce high cholesterol , but on other side it increse the thyroid production ( Hyperthyroid). So it works contradictory. Is there any solution for that.

Example : Garlic , Cinemom, XXXXXXX tea etc. Which help to control high cholesterol but increse the thyroid fuction ?

Request , Please check once again for flax seed ( becuase to reduce my cholesterol i used flx seed oil capsules but after immediately that I diogonsed with hyperthyroid ) - Off course it helps to hypothyroids not to hyperthyroids.

Shluld I change my oil alternatively ? Corn oil is OK. What other other than saffola oil is better ?

Answered by Grace Abraham 43 hours later
Hi
As of my knowledge , there is no clinical evidence that foods like flax seeds or XXXXXXX tea or garlic have toxic effects on patients with hyperthyroidism. Hence it is safe to consume them as it is more beneficial.

Any combination of vegetable oil can be used for cooking purpose, but the quantity is more important; half liter of oil per person per month.

Hope i answered your query.

Grace Abraham
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli