History of heart problem. Feeling nausea, sweating, mild fever and diarrhea. Any cure?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My husband just had a very quick onset of nausea, diarreha, sweating a lot, has low body temperature , 95.7. Now his head hurts. He has a history of heart problems.

My email address is YYYY@YYYY

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 31 minutes later

I recommend you to visit the ER now.

The symptoms your husband has might be due to Hypoglycemia (Low blood sugar). Is he a diabetic - if yes, there are high chances of hypoglycemia. Else, the second possibility of gastrointestinal infections causing loose stools needs to be ruled out.

Both hypoglycemia and frequent loose stools associated with dehydration can present with the aforementioned features. If untreated it is not safe for a person with heart conditions.

Therefore I suggest him to visit the ER soon. His general hydration status and blood sugars need to be checked and corrected if abnormal.

In the meantime, do give him rehydrating solutions like juices, plenty of water now and on the way to the ER.

Hope this answers your query. I wish him a speedy recovery. Do let me know if there other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad