History of exposure to second hand smoke. Feeling tightness in chest. Am I at any risk?

Dr. Ganesh Sanap

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am an artist painting with non toxic water paints and I feel tightness in my chest . is this causing problems in my lungs. I usually have the window open and I am hoping its not serious as this is how I make a living. I have had not major health problems to date. No asthma, no previous heart problems, my blood pressure has always been good, I have never been a smoker although I worked the the bars when I was younger and exposed to second hand smoke for years. I usually eat healthy and exercise when I can. I am 5`7``, 160 lbs, I haven`t have any major sickness. I have only been in the hospital for a DNC, to get check out for endometriosis, and to have a baby. I do not currently have a doctor and have been debating on going to get x-rays at a walk in clinic.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
Your present living and working atmosphere seems quite comfortable and healthy. Just one thing is major to concern is your past history of exposure to smoke and chemicals. Your DNC other issues are also not related to chest tightness.
Previous exposure can cause interstitial lung disease. I would like to suggest please wait for few days as single episode doesn't have any specific diagnosis. Also interstitial lung disease has symptoms of breathlessness , cough and chest tightness.
If symptoms persists then it will be better to go for HRCT thorax rather than xray chest.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further concern, please let me know.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 8 hours later
What is the treatment for interstitial lung disease and is this like COPD?
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 44 minutes later
Hi, welcome back

Interstitial lung disease is completely different from COPD. Its treatment is mainly towards the basic symptoms like cough or breathlessness. It is mainly symptomatic. Avoidance of exposure to causative agent is needed.

Hope I have answered your query.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E