History of chiari decompression. Having migraines and strange sensation of spine throbbing with heartbeat. Reason?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have a history of chiari decompression in 2005. This included placing a dural patch and shrinking of tonsils. Recently, my migraines have been increasing in severity and leaving my feeling like top or back of head will explode. I have been having a strange sensation of spine throbbing with my heartbeat. Starts in the base of spine and moves up. Should I be concerned that something is happening related to chiari? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. It is unlikely that your current symptoms are related to Chiari malformation or its surgery. The aggravation of migraine seems to be unrelated. You can start preventive migraine medications to reduce the severity and frequency of headaches. Options include topiramate, beta blockers and divalproex. You should improve in 2-3 weeks after starting medications. If you do not improve, then, an MRI of brain including cranio-vertebral junction may be done. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in