History of cervical dysplasia. Feeling fatigue, getting numb hands and legs. Any treatment?

Dr. Krishna Kumar

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: hi I have history of cervical dysplasia Im 39 years old an recovering drug addict and I have been smoking cigarettes for 20 years. when I am in a sitting position my legs and feet go numb, as well as my hands and forearm. I have electric shocks in hands and feet and extreme fatigue throughout the day. I had a XXXXXXX stroke 3 years ago. Just recently awoke with swelling and bruising and pain in left ankle without physical injury.
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for sharing your problem with me here.

As you have all four limbs getting numb, you might be having either nerve issues or spine issues. As both your hands and legs are affected, we have to exclude any problem in your spine in the neck region.

Therefore, it would be worthwhile to get CT/MRI scan of your cervical spine.

Swelling and bruising without injury calls for few blood tests such as platelet count and renal function tests to rule out any underlying pathology.

So kindly do these tests and revert to me.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E