Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

138 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

History of anal fistula. Having pain and pressure below tailbone. Worrisome

Answered by
Dr. Sudhir

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2000

Answered : 1417 Questions

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have pain presser below my tail bone on the right side of my anus.
I had surgery about 6 months ago for an anal fistula.
But that was at a lower area below my scrotum
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 33 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

In view of your history of anal fistula and current symptoms, two possibilities seem likely- first is recurrence of anal fistula in different location and second is gluteal infection.

Both of these possibilities are quiet common and known to recur even after surgery.

Anal fistual can occur all around anus, so the previous location may be down below but symptoms higher up can also be due to anal fistula at this location.

I guess an early evaluation by your surgeon is suggest before this progresses or becomes secondarily infected.Doctor will confirm the diagnosis and help accordinly.

Mean while you can take oral analgesics for pain.Avoid wearing tight clothes, sitting in one position for long, keep the region clean, avoid any kind of friction, take seats bath etc.

Hope this answers your question.Please feel free to ask if there are doubts.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 23 hours later
Why does this keep reoccurring?
The last flare up after surgery was not even a year. The abscess reached the surface on the left side below the scrotum. And the time before that was 3 years, the time before that was about 5 years.
All in the same place and all are requiring surgery. This time the presser is in a total different location nowhere near the others.
I want to know what I can do to keep this from reoccurring. Have surgery every few years and with closer flare up seems like the problem is not being resolved, (just patched up every time if you will)
All the surgeon does is clean it out not keep it from coming back. Could it diet, alcohol not enough fiber, disease etc…?
I am going to see a gastro doctor tomorrow if I can get in, I want to try and avoid surgery the scar tissue is crazy now.
And like I said it is not getting resolved obviously, just patched up temporarily.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 17 minutes later
Thanks for follow up query.

It's always difficult and also may not be possible to prevent such fistulas from recurring.Because in most cases more stress is given on treatment and factors contributing to formation are not assessed.So even after treatment these factors remain unchanged and lead to fistula.

Other important cause for recurrence is - by nature itself this area is prone for infection, again the excess fatty tissue in this region harbors uncleared infections and antibiotics cannot entirely penetrate this fatty tissue.So doctors are also at limitations.

Few things which can help are -

Keep the region clean,
Save off hair in this region regularly,
Use underwear which don't get excessively wet.
Instead of paper cleaning use water and soap to clean after passing stools.
Using gentle techniques to clean the anal area
Keeping the anal area dry by changing underwear frequently and using powder to absorb moisture
Always using a condom if you practice anal intercourse
Never inserting any foreign object into the rectum.
Loose weight, in obese people buttock cheeks rub with each other.
Avoid body or head hair getting trapped in between buttocks.
All early symptoms should be evaluated.
Avoid tight clothes.
Avoid clothes getting in between buttock cheeks.

Hope this answers your question to some extent.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Excess fatty tissue

doctor1 MD

I am suffering from fatty liver please suggest some medicin . LFT shows almost normal alkaline phosphatase 125

doctor1 MD

Over the years my legs swell every day, I have to come home from work and prop them up before starting supper for me and my husband because they hurt. Years ago I went to a vascular doctor because my legs were unusually large and swelled for other parts of my body, such as a very small waist and upper torso. I found out 5 years ago that the anatomy of my heart was unusual and uncommon where the right coronary artery is hooked to my pulmonary instead of the left side of my heart and I have a slight narrowing in the main aorta. Two doctors have identified this diagnosis. But I refused heart catheters because I was afraid of more damage to the heart because of my heart anatomy. The second doctor was very sensitive to my concerns and decided to do an less invasive nuclear stress test to test blood flow and said wouldn't touch that God given artery until we had to if blood flow was fine. Blood flow was fine at that time, at age 45. But this anatomy explains why over the years I've seemed out of breath when overexerted. My husband and I walk when we can a little over 2 miles 3 times a week, except during cold periods. I cant keep up with him cause I get so out of breath but he doesn't mind because he knows my condition. I have been concerned over the last few years because now I'm starting to just swell or bubble out just below my elbows which looks weird and I am self conscience and won't wear nothing but 3/4 length sleeves, even in hot summer. Ive never been able to wear shorts because of so much fatty tissue on my legs except when I was in middle school, now I cant even wear short sleeves. I'm 5ft. 5in. and weigh 176lbs. I have been wondering if I should go to an adipose doc or fat doc to see if I can reduce these swellings or if being on contraceptives for 30 yrs. is causing these problems. My immune has not been the best with 3 to 4 sinus infections and and about that many urinary tract infections a year. I also have a small bladder. Plan to get weight down to see if this is the factor. But what are your thoughts, could contraceptives,fatigue from 30 yrs. of working, symptoms of diabetes but no actual diabetes except borderline test, be causing edema and excessive fatty tissue in arms and legs. Should I consult a weight doctor, a vascular doc, or diabetes doc or just internal med. doctor. What are your thoughts?

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor, i am having problem with my chest muscles, as i used to be fatty till last Dec , and after that i lost wieight thru proper Gym and diet. However, i am feeling terrible looking at my chest as the fat doesnt get out and it looks like a...

doctor1 MD

hiii 23 guy i am very much distrubed fro my large chest plz give some suggestion lzzzzzzzzzz

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr, How effective are gynocomastia surgeries for male patients with Klinefelter syndrome? Do these patients have a greater likelihood of their condition flaring up again after surgical removal of excess breast tissue? Would a higher sex drive be a side-effect of hormonal therapy for such patients? Thank you. AAAAA