Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
166 Doctors are Online

History of acne. Now have oily, uneven skin with large pores and black marks. Permanent solution?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 393 Questions
Hello doctor. All my teenage I suffered from acne which resulted in bad skin. I am 33 now. I got rid of acne mostly but my skin is oily with large pores, black marks and uneven. Area around mouth and neck is dark. I dont know if this is pigmentation. I tried almost everything (including chemical peeling) but they worked temporarily. It would be very helpful if you can provide a solution for this. Thank You. XXXXXX
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 37 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I understand from your query that due to acne , there have been post inflammatory hyper pigmentation and scars on your face.
I feel that there are a few things you can do :

1) Reduction of weight : if you are overweight, this is the first step i would advise.This improves the over all pigmentation on your skin.Areas around mouth and neck ,if dark, usually do not respond very well to other measures till there has been weight control.

2) Sunscreen use : Even if indoors , use a non comedogenic sunscreen ,every 4-6 hourly.

3) Fractional Resurfacing with Lasers: This helps in improving the skin surface by making the open pores , deep scars less visible .This is required in multiple sessions for optimum results .

4) Chemical Peels : Continue this with other measures for better response .Ideally Glycolic peels unto 50-70 % strength can provide maximum benefits.

5) Oral Vitamin C (1000MG) daily for 3 months .

6) At night , use a cream hydroquinone on the scars .

7)In the morning ,use Kojic acid creams twice daily.

You may send your pictures to


with the subject as 'ATTN DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS'.This would help me guide you better.

I would like to mention that any scar treatment does not provide a 100% cure.It also has to be done in multiple sittings spread over a few months time to achieve maximum benefits .

Hope this is helpful to you.I will be eager to answer any follow-up queries.

Best wishes ,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: History of acne. Now have oily, uneven skin with large pores and black marks. Permanent solution? 6 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. I have sent my pictures to YYYY@YYYY . Will wait for your respone.

Yes, I am a bit overweight. My height is 5.1", weight - 65 kgs.

Thanks again,
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 15 hours later
Thanks for your follow up and the detailed pictures.

I have gone through the pictures and would suggest you steps 1 to 7 like i mentioned above.
Weight reduction and fractional laser resurfacing is something I would like to stress upon.This should be done in combination with Glycolic Peels for best results.A few session of subscision key be required for the deeper scars as well.This is a simple OPD procedure with minima downtime.
Although it is not possible to clear away all pigmentation /scars ,you should achieve good results with a combination of the above.

For temporary reduction of the pitted post acne scars ,you have the option of doing Filler injections. Hyaluronic acid fillers can be used to reduce the depth of the scars with good results.You will need to repeat this at 9-12 months gap was these are temporary measures.

You can start with Oral Vit C, cream applications ,sunscreen usage now.After this you may consult a dermatologist to start the cosmetic procedures.

Hope this helps you.
Best wishes,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor