Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

History of PCOD before conception. Having irregular period. What is the reason?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
hello doctor,
I have mensuration irregular problem nowadays.My period cycle is 30-35 days from unmarried time.But now its increased to 40-45days. My height is '5.3' and weight 75kg. I had joined Yoga since 3 months. After one month i got my period exactly after one month.But the next month i had period at right time(one month) but discharge not exactly.its like blood cots and now after fifteen days i got another period and same as no right bleeding but only little blood cots. my age is 29 years.I had previous history of PCOD before conception.But i conceived within 3months.I had c-sec. and i got my period after one year birth of my daughter.

please help me regarding what could be reason for periods without proper discharge.

Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 57 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying yo solve your problem.

According to your height (5'3"), standard weight is 47-57 kg. Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 29.29 and it indicates over weight, leads to obesity in future.

You are suffering from irregular delayed period with 40-45 days interval. It is called oligomenorrhea in medical term. Over weight is the most common aggravating factor for this condition, leads to hormonal imbalance & anovulatory cycle.

In addition, some associated underlying factors are as follows:

1) Previous history of Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD)- commonest in this context.
2) Thyroid disorder- hypothyroid state is another common factor.
3) Other-stress/ anxiety, irregular eating habit, psychological upset etc.
4) Breast feeding of your baby still now.

The possibilities can be narrowed by means of several tests such as Ultrasound scan (USG) of lower abdomen,Complete hormone assay ( LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels), blood sugar & prolactin level, thyroid profile etc.

Another thing, possibility of pregnancy or incomplete abortion is also to be ruled out by doing one blood test for beta-HCG level as you are getting clotted element instead of regular bleeding.

Complete treatment depends on pinpoint diagnosis. In this scenario, you need to consult with a gynecologist who can help you in guide through the tests after complete physical examination.

In the interim, the following measures can be helpful:

1) Reduction of body weight is the key in such cases by regular physical exercise by jogging/ running/ treadmill or you may join into XXXXXXX for daily work out.
2) Take healthy diet with iron supplements with complete avoidance of junk/ salty/ fatty/ fast food.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat more vegetables & fresh fruits.
4) Avoid stress/ tension by doing yoga/ XXXXXXX breathing regularly (20-30 times)
5) In exclusion of pregnancy, hormonal pill & other supportive treatment can regularize your period.
6) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping with complete relaxation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor