History - Unprotected Contact ( High Risk Exposure ) (

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2019 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: History - Unprotected Contact ( High Risk Exposure ) ( Single time) Test Done after 3 weeks - Hiv 1/2 RNA PCR, Chlamydia (IGG 0.05,IGA 0.24,IGM 0.18), HSV 1
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regarding HIV and STDs

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to ask a doctor service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Unprotected sex is a high risk for transmission of STDs including HIV. Your HIV 1&2 RNA PCR at 3 weeks is highly sensitive and makes it unlikely, however, it is not considered a diagnostic test. Therefore I would suggest a follow up test for anti-HIV antibody at 12 weeks for a conclusive result. Apart from that I would suggest screening for other STDs like Syphilis with VDRL as well as for Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV 1&2) with HerpeSelect at 12 weeks. These are blood tests. For other STDs like Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia I would suggest a Urine Spot test which is highly sensitive and specific and therefore recommended. Blood test for chlamydia is not routinely used as a diagnostic test.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need any more assistance
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 30 minutes later
Can i start taking antibiotics for sore throat infection and will it hamper the result of 3rd month...i have still 5 weeks left to complete 3rd month.. Can you prescribe the lab test because majority of the diagnostics centre ask for prescription for clinical history?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding STDs

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Oral antibiotics won't hamper screening test results at 12 weeks. You need to contact your General Practitioner for him/her to refer you to a lab for tests.

take care
let me know if you need any more assistance
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D