Hip x-ray showed osteoarthritis. Getting lower back pain and pelvic pain. Looking for proper treatment

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Lupus
Question: I am 39 year old female who has had low back and pelvic pain for 9 months and thoracic left sided pain for 3 months. Which radiates around my lower ribs There has been no clear trigger and I have had a normal laparoscopy a month ago and my hip x rays show osteoarthritis. My bloods are ok apart from an ESR of 20. I had rheumatoid factor years ago I think which was negative. My BMI is 27 and I have had poor posture since I was a child. I also suffer from a lot of neck pain although this is ok at the moment. My pains in my upper back improve with rest ie lying down and are worse when sitting at work at the computer. When I am moving around it is easier but my hips hurt. my upper back feels tight and sore on the left most of the time. I am awaiting an MRI result of my spine. Should I pursue this any further in terms of other types of arthritis?
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 1 hour later

I am sorry to know about the pain and difficulty you are going through. The arthritis which fits with your symptoms is spondyloarthritis. It generally affects males. However, when it affects females, the symptoms may be a bit atypical.

I would definitely want to know what comes out in the MRI of the spine and also if they have screened the sacroiliac joint.

The other thing would be to get a particular test done by the name of HLAb27.

- Do you feel better after doing back exercise?
- Does anti-inflammatory medications give you any relief?
- Are you on Vitamin D and Calcium Supplements?
- Have you checked your Vitamin D levels?

Get back to me with these and we will be able to better understand this.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Divya Agarwal 4 hours later
Back exercises haven't helped much. the best thing is rest. I don't know my HLA B27 but I don't have anyone in my family with significant back problems. I don't know my vit d and I don't take supplements. I am vegetarian. I am a bit stiff after lying down but this settles down to just a tightness in my upper back and hip area. Antinflammatories do help but give me indigestion
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 13 hours later

Then, the best thing would be to get the MRI results, and probably run a few tests for your HLA-b27 and 25hydroxy Vit D levels.

In the meantime, you should be taking at least 500 mg of calcium and 1000iu of vitamin D daily.
Try local measures like hot fomentation and anti inflammatory gels twice a day.

Graded exercises to strengthen your back should also help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E