Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

High triglycerides. Quitting tea helpful ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12760 Questions
I have high triglycerides and want to know if I need to cut out my daily cup of chai. It has 17g sugar. I eat healthy the rest of the day but have not in the past. Just want to know if I should cut the chai completely.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

High levels of triglycerides do indicate a raised blood cholesterol levels. To bring these levels back to normal, dietary modifications play an important role.

Tea contains caffeine and sugar as its main components. The fat is the saturated fat that is derived from the milk that is used. You can use skimmed milk or double toned milk to reduce the fat intake. "Taking sugar does not produce much effect on blood triglyceride levels. However reduced sugar intake definitely helps in reducing weight which in the long run helps to reduce the cholesterol levels".

In addition to the low fat low cholesterol diet, you should add more soluble fibre in your diet. Good sources of soluble fiber include oats, certain fruits (such as oranges and pears) and vegetables (such as brussels sprouts and carrots), and dried peas and beans.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor