High sed rate.Diagnosed with pericardial effusion. Blood test suggests pericarditis. Taken motrin. Reason for high sed rate?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Question: 7 year old was admitted to ICU after fever for 9 days and chest pain - found pericardial effusion. Blood test came back as positive for adnevirus....soo viral pericarditis. Fluid gone with motrin treatment, went home and continue with motrin every 6 hours. Started weaning her off the motrin at three weeks after fluid gone and fever would spike to 101-102.5

Infectious disease doctor ordered blood (this would be 4 weeks past effusion) - C-reactive and Sed. C-reactive greatly improved, yet sed rate still high. Echocardiagram shows heart is 100% fine. She is now fever free.

thoughts on what is driving sed rate? She has no symptoms - no pain, no rash, no nothing. thanks
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Please do not worry . It takes about 6-10 weeks or more for ESR levels to normalise post adenovirus infection.
Considering she is otherwise fine there is no reason for concern .A follow up check up after 4 weeks should most probably show a normal ESR . So you can get it retested later ,for your satisfactiom however it's not at all mandatory . I don't think there is a need for any further investigations or treatment assuming your child is a asymptomatic now .
Hope that answers your query.
Feel free to clear any further doubts ,
Regards .