Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

High resting heart beat. Does this indicate any heart problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
Hi my 14-year-old daughter has resting heartbeat between 120-140. We didn't realize this problem until recently. Does this indicate any problems for her heart? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.

Chances of heart problem are next to nil for two types of heart diseases are seen in a 14 year old. a) Congenital (by birth) heart defect : she must have been examined for at least half a dozen times during vaccination, well baby clinic and school health checkup. It is unlikely b) Acquired Valvular Heart Disease (e.g. Rheumatic Heart Disease)from Maryland State, no case has been reported in last 60 years and she would have been examined at least once in last 3 years therefore very unlikely.

Heart beat of 120-140 is definitely high causes of which are usually medical, three most important are:
1. Increase intake of stimulants like coffee, tea, cola etc.
2. Thyroid disease (measure pulse rate while sleeping if it is high consult a doctor)
3. Anxiety you would know other signs of it. Or when no other cause is found

Two cardiac conditions can present and can be diagnosed by your doctor

4. Paroxysmal Supra ventricular Tachycardia (PSVT): Usually episodic, onset sudden like a bolt from blue, episode lasting fro minutes to hours, ends as abruptly as it had set in. She would have complained of palpitation and heart rate during the episode would be more than 140 usually. Easily treatable with drugs. Needs EKG and Holter examination to diagnose. You will have to consult your doctor. At times conditions like mitral valve prolapse are associated so after thorough examination doctor may do tests like echocardiography-Doppler.
5. Abnormal sinus rhythm. Normal activity of heart but at faster rate. Can be diagnosed by tests like Holter Examination.

Therefore, to have any serious structural problem of heart is unlikely. However, she needs to be seen by a doctor. Good Luck.

With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: High resting heart beat. Does this indicate any heart problem? 14 hours later
Many Thanks Dr. Grover! We had ECG check for my daughter today with a Cardiologist for kids and confirmed that her heart is fine from constructual perspective. So the doctor suspected it is might related to item 2 you listed above - Thyroid related. Her PCP too blood work and we are waiting for test result tomorrow. The Cardiologist did mentioned that there are about 7-10% of Asia girls at this age experience Thyroid related heartbeat problem. While we are waiting for further test result (blood work and 24 hours monitoring), would you please kindly give me more ideas on what caused the Thyroid disease and how to cure for this age, and will this disease affect her overall health in long run?

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 5 hours later
Hi there,

Thank you for writing back.
Let the tests come, if your doctor thinks thyroid then it is excessive activity of thyroid gland. Not confined to Asia but seen all over the world. Drugs shall be prescribed for suppressing excessive activity and with drugs she would be normal in about 15 days time. Drugs would need to continue for some duration for that you would need a follow up which an internist (or till she is 18 an pediatric endocrinologist) can do the best. Nothing to worry. There is nothing which can prevent to grow into normal adolescent. Provided, you give her the drugs regularly and follow with doctor you choose regularly. Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor