High heart rate after consuming alcohol. Any risk?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: When I sleep the night after consuming alcohol I begin to fall asleep then almost jump start myself awake, heart rate is high then relaxes can happen 10-15 times before I drop off
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 9 hours later

Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you please answer the following:-
1. Are you a regular drinker or an occasional drinker?
2. Are you taking some medicines also for any ailment?
3. Whether this occurred for the first time or occurs every time you take alcohol?

Alcohol can increase heart rate. But when increased heart rate is symptomatic, it is advisable to get yourself examined by a Cardiologist and have the following investigations done:-
1. Blood pressure recording
2. ECG
3. Lipid Profile
4. Thyroid Profile
5. Liver Function Test (LFT)

I hope this is helpful to you. If you any further query, I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. R.A. Singh 3 hours later
Thank you I would say I am too regular drinking alcohol and yes it happens every time, BP is good I am a fitness fanatic albeit I drink too much cholesterol is high but mainly HDL
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 3 hours later
Thanks for your response.

HDL is good for the heart. Lower HDL is a cause of concern. In your case, it is beneficial as you do not have low levels of HDL.

Alcohol increases the heart rate, but still you should get yourself completely evaluated by a cardiologist and get the other investigations mentioned above.

If you have any further doubts, I will be happy to answer them.
Regards. Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E