Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

High ferritin level in blood, genital discomfort, dizziness, body pain, high cholesterol. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
Dr the Ferritin levels in my blood are high.155 normal is 20-120 .I fell unconfortable in genera

and most of the time I fell dizzy and pain full around my body and cholesterol high
5.58 and hdl low 0.80. I should I do.
Thank you for your help.
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for the query.
Increases ferritin levels indicate overload of iron and may indicate iron storage disorders like hemochromatosis.
Patients suffering from hemochromatosis may show signs and symptoms of iron overload like
Diabetes mellitus
Heart failure
Joint pains
Liver cirrhosis etc.
Other important causes for high ferritin levels may indicate rheumatoid arthritis and sometimes cancer also.

Your fatigue and joint pains are most likely due to overload of iron but these symptoms may arise due to calcium and VIT D deficiency also.

You should consult your doctor and get complete blood work done to look for any organ damage done by high ferritin levels.Other tests required are echo cardiography and ultrasound abdomen.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor