Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
162 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

High cholesterol, done blood test. How to lower cholesterol?

Answered by
Dr. Rakhi Tayal


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 13708 Questions

Posted on Fri, 1 Jun 2012 in Cholesterol
Question: Hi, I am 29 yrs old and 5'1 and 168lbs. Got my blood test results back today and my total cholesterol is 212...hdl is 38 and ldl is 145. How bad is this and what can I do to bring down bad cholesterol. Also my eos % is 1, what does that mean?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.
From your reports, your total cholesterol is only borderline raised but HDL levels are low. LDL (145) is borderline high.
If I were your doctor I would have chosen statins first out of the list of cholesterol medications after checking your liver enzymes
Lifestyle modifications have equal importance along with medicines.
To increase your HDL you can start exercising regularly, stop alcohol and smoking.
To decrease the LDL levels-
1. reduce saturated fat intake
2.     Maintain good body composition
3.     Increase dietary fiber
4.     Increase aerobic exercise
Finally it is best to consult your doctor to help you in choosing the best cholesterol lowering agent.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
He is giving me 3 to 6 months to get it under control before medicine, cause I don't want to take any more pills?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes you can give lifestyle modifications a trial before actually starting taking the pills. Do reduce your fat intake, maintain an ideal weight. Taking a fiber XXXXXXX diet with regular aerobics schedule might help you.
Wishing you an early recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Statin

doctor1 MD

Have been on pravastatin for two weeks and have had diarrehea almost every night,and vomiting last with loose bowels. I am not feeling right with...

doctor1 MD

I am 61 years, 163 Cm, 70 kg. Angioplasty was done in 2005 and due stent problem again in 2011. I take statins (10 mg once a day) since 2005. It...

doctor1 MD

I am on statins in fits and starts. They affect my eyes, which water like mad sometimes, they also have a profound affect on my vision. My Father...

doctor1 MD

My question is, Can I take Testoril if I am taking Valsartan and Atorvastatin ................. I am told it has no side effects and is all natural...

doctor1 MD

I have been on Hypocol & Cholenol for the past 3 years. These are supplements to reduce cholesterol and they contain statin . Recently, about 2...

doctor1 MD

I am or was active ++74yr old still working part time as Physio and want to restore to previous normality. I have had severe muscle pain...