High blood pressure readings. History of thyroid cancer. Reason?
Hi, I am 44 year old female with history of SVT, Thyroid cancer. Since I was a teenager I have had a problem with low blood pressure. PCP has even told mr to "eat more salt" to raise my blood pressure. My pressure generally runs 90's over 50's. I am a nurse and have had many doctor's appointments and pressure rarely gets over 100/60 as anxiety at appointments is never an issue. The last month I have had 2 doctor appointments and blood pressures were 138/84 and 128/86. My doctor didn't think much of it but I am concerned. I have been checking it at work now and it is consistently 120's to 130's over 70's to 80's. What could cause a sudden increase in blood pressure? I had my thyroid levels checked and all ok. WHat else could I be checked for?
Thanks for the query.
I have gone through your query. Primary hypertension generally sets in between 30 t0 50 years of age. And Hypertension is defined as BP more than 140/90. So definitely, you are not an hypertensive as yet irrespective of what your earlier BP was.
You fit into a category called as prehypertension. By definition, it is systolic BP between 120 to 139 or diastolic between 80 to 89. Prehypertensive patients are thought to be at higher risk to develop hypertension and are hence advised to follow lifestyle measures to try and delay the onset of XXXXXXX hypertension. Lifestyle measures would include salt restricted diet, consumption of lots of fruit and vegetables, regular exercises and maintain ideal body weight.
I suggest you to follow a healthy lifestyle as suggested above. Also you need to keep a watch on your blood pressures once in two months to see whether it has reached a level where medications are needed.
I dont think any further checks are needed at this point.
Hope this answers your questions. Should you have any further concerns, I will be available to address them.
Dr. A. Gopi
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Underactive thyroid and high blood pressure
- High blood pressure in cancer patients
- Thyroid nodule high blood pressure
- High blood pressure and thyroid
- Dangerous high blood pressure readings
- High blood pressure readings history of thyroid cancer reason
- Severe high blood pressure readings
- High blood pressure lung cancer
- Reasons for high blood pressure
- Thyroiditis high blood pressure
- What medicine can I take for hypertension?
- What medicine can I use instead of amlodipine?
- Should I be concerned about freezing hands and feet?
- Bypass surgery, stent inserted, penal injections for ED. Okay?
- Arthroscopic hip surgery, heart rate dropped to 40, BP low. Causes ?
- What can I do to reduce heart palpitations?
- Breathlessness, heart palpitations, painful, claustrophobic, heart...
- Stroke,congestive heart failure,nose bleed,choking
- What is angiography ?
- Is abdominal pain due to periods related to palpitations?