Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

High blood pressure, frequent headaches, smoking addiction, history of heart diseases

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5147 Questions
I have just taken my blood pressure and the top number was 147 and the bottom was 101 should I see my doctor. I am 45, female and a smoker with a family history of heart disease

I have also been getting headaches on a daily basis
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 20 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query.

Normal blood pressure usually rests at 120/80mmHg, but your blood pressure is 147/101mmHg. Before coming to any conclusions it is advisable to note a few points first.

Blood pressure needs to be measured over a bare arm after the person is at rest for atleast 5 minutes in sitting position with feet on the floor. No stimulant like smoking, alcohol, caffeine, colas, etc. has been consumed since 30 minutes as well. Also the Blood pressure measurement needs to be repeated a few times during the day to confirm validity of the reading.

Since you have family history of heart disease, there could be increased risk of Hypertension. Your headache could also be due to your high blood pressure.

Try to avoid staying up nights, use good lighting at work, try to reduce stress by taking frequent breaks at work, get 6-8 hours of sleep daily, do Yoga, Pranayam for stress relief as well. Kindly refrain from smoking, using tobacco of any kind, avoid high calorie meals, avoid junk food, stick to a low salt diet, eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Exercise daily by brisk walking daily for 40 minutes.

If the blood pressure is usually not controlled by the diet and exercise modification for a few weeks, you may need anti-hypertensive drugs, if not recommended by your Doctor immediately. Half the battle involves diet and exercise modification which will be of great benefit in your case. You may need to get a few investigations by your Doctor to substantiate the cause and management of your condition like an Electrocardiogram (ECG), Kidney function tests, an Eye examination as well. Other investigations which may be ordered depend on the positive findings found on clinical examination at the discretion of your physician.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor