Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

High SGPT and SGOT level, drinking whiskey and beer. Please advise

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10295 Questions
how can i control my SGPT is 139 and SGOT 70.1,i am taking drink also any role drink wiskey or Bear pl advise.
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later

Your results are mostly normal except for:(1) macrocytosis on the full blood count - the Mean corpuslar volume was high, when this occurs it is callled macrocytosis.This is the term used to describe red blood cells that are larger than normal. It can be caused by vitamin b 12 deficiency ( your level was below the normal) which can be due to diet, not being absorbed by the intestine- exact reason would need to be determined by your doctor, folate deficiency (another vitamin) -due to lack in diet, excess alcohol use, inherited defect.
(2) decreased vitamin B 12- already mentioned.The levels can be improved by use of oral medication , intranasal spray, transdermal patch or injection.
(3) decrease in vitamin D- level noted as insufficient- Vitamin D deficiency usually occurs as a result of a lack of appropiate sun exposure or lack of adequate amounts in the diet.It can be associated with increased risk of heart disease, cancer. Research has also shown that this vitamin could play a role in the prevention and treatment of diabetes, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis.The levels can be improved by use of a supplement.
(4) elevation of the some of the liver enzymes AST/SGOT, ALT/SPGT, GGT.
These levels can be elevated in a number of circumstances such as infection (hepatitis), excess alcohol use, due to medication , fatty liver (excess fat in the liver can also cause problems).GGT goes up in the presence of excess alcohol intake and antiseizure medication.

If these increases are due to fatty liver or alcohol intake then prognosis be improved and further problems might be prevented if diet is changed.
Some persons can use questionairaes to check to see if their alcohol use is too much, one such questionaire is the CAGE questions;C- do ever feel as though you should cut down, A- do you get annoyed if persons criticised your drinking,G- do you feel guilty or bad about drinking ,E- have you ever had to use a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nervers or get rid of a hangover (eye opener) .A total of 2 or more yes is considered significant.
Alcohol cessation is difficult and often is hard to acheive by yourself, you may need to ask your family for assitance.Additional speak to your doctor to find out if there is an approved program that you could join that may help.

If your doctor thinks it may be due to fatty liver then certain diet changes may help: decrease the use of fried or fatty foods, eat more fruits and vegetables, decrease the use of carbonated drinks or fruit drinks, decrease carbohydrate intake (carbohydrates are converted to fat in the body) by decreasing the use of breads, biscuits, rice,pasta,pastries.Use more water.

I hope this information is helpful, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: High SGPT and SGOT level, drinking whiskey and beer. Please advise 16 hours later
Sir, what will i do now, can you make my daite or can i take Bear once a week, 700 ml, my lever also fatty doctor says in altrasound.

I am very worry , i have littel daughter 4 years
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later

I understand that you would be concerned, that is natural.
Fatty liver can be caused by diet that contains alot of fat and unhealthy carbohydrates and also by alcohol.Fatty liver can progress if measures are not put in place.
Since the changes are already there, it would be best to stop alcohol use altogether to stop the progression of liver disease.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor