Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

High SED rate and CRP, have hiatal hernia and gall stones, vaginal itching. Could inflammation be connected to vagina?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
Very High SED rate and CRP for a couple of years.
Age 61 160lbs 5'4"tall

Recently, have had Gallium Scan and abdominal CT scan along with the RA full blood work. All point to nothing - cannot find source of inflammation.

1990 - complete hysterectomy
1987 - L4 L5 Lumbar Laminectomy
1975 - C Section
2010 - right ankle muscle repair

some vaginal itching - when vulva exposed to air - not constant, just occasional. with a few pimples occasionally.

have hiatal hernia - and just found out that there are some small gall stones.

any ideas? could the inflammation be connected to the vagina / vulva?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 12 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query,

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand that your high SED and CRP rates have got you concerned.

Yes, you are right that inflammation does cause this.
And looking at your history, I cannot really make a diagnosis if that is what you are asking me to say. Although few other reasons exist that may be meaningful to rule out apart from infections, lupus, pneumococcal pneumonia, tuberculosis. The scan should have ruled out any cancer certainly.

It is possible that you might have had a latent infection that would have caused the same. Have you undergone any blood tests for infections (culture)

Hiatal hernia - if long standing might have some inflammations of the peritoneum sometimes. May not be clinically relevant but good enough to cause rise of levels. Discuss this aspect too with your doctor.

Gall stones, though recently diagnosed, might be another possibility. Smaller stones again subclinically might have caused a certain amount of inflammation due to stasis of bile in the gall bladder. It is a valid reason sometimes.

All said, it would take many tests and a real examination to even come near a clinical reason just by one ESR reading. As the whole body is a possibility. I just enumerated the most likely ones in here.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: High SED rate and CRP, have hiatal hernia and gall stones, vaginal itching. Could inflammation be connected to vagina? 9 hours later
Thank you for your reply.

Sed rate in the 40's
CRP 17 L

have had complete blood work ups - extensive
but not sure if Dr ran blood cultures - I will have to ask, but it seemed he ran every thing.

we even tried a course of steroids to see if the counts would come down even a little.

my internist said that the hernia and gall stones weren't enough to cause the high numbers I have.

could vaginitis of any sort cause such high counts?
tho I am fairly asymptonatic - I do have the occasional itching around the vulva - mostly when I get up in the morning or undress.
I do watch my yeast intake.

thank you
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 8 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.

Well, the SED level is not that high - 40s is a moderate rise.

I do not think vaginitis would cause this, unless there is a long standing infection.
And that infection should have been causing a fair amount of local vaginal inflammation.

Then, in that case the search has to go on till a focus is found somewhere.
I understand this may not be easy for you, but some cases do take time for a diagnosis/ some patients do have such SED levels without a major cause.

I can only suggest you, but cannot speculate without seeing you.
At this moment, your internist is the best for you.

Wish you good health. You can write for further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor