Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

High RDW and low RBC count. Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I have had consistently high rdw-cv and and rdw-sd with low red blood cell counts over the years dating back to 2008. Is this a concern?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

You have a very slightly abnormal RDW Which has fluctuated right around the normal range in your previous blood tests. It does not look like you have any kind of anemia although I do not see any hemoglobin results on your blood tests.

Sometimes a very high RDW Can reflect some type of deficiency such as iron or vitamins. You have had your vitamin B12 level and Froehlich acid level checked and these look normal. You might request that your doctor check your iron level to see if that might explain some of the fluctuation on your blood tests.

Otherwise there is no need for concern at this time.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor