High RBC, HCTZ, HGB and platelets count. Taking numerous supplements. Could this be the reason?

Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: a recent lab showed increased rbc's, hctz., hgb., and platelets. I have been giving platelets, last time about 5 months ago, and have been taking numerous supplements...maybe too much folic acid? Otherwise, healthy...propranolol 40mg and hydrodiruil 25, bid,for hypertension. exercise at the gym 5x a week..don't drink or smoke.
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Supplements perhaps, but need further testing Detailed Answer: Dear patient, Thanks for your query. In some circumstances, supplementation with B12 and folate can increase RBC production, but for your and your doctor's peace of mind, the main thing that needs to be ruled out is if these increases in numbers are related to increased automatic bone marrow production of cells, such as in leukemia or myelodysplastic syndromes. A great start is to obtain a peripheral blood morphology, also called peripheral smear, and depending on what it shows, if suspicious, it is usually followed by a bone marrow aspiration and examination. Another possibility of course, is just to watch the counts in a few weeks after going down on the supplements. Yours truly, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN