Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

High Lipase, abdominal pain, peptic ulcer disease, acid production in stomach

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
Blood test shows lipase high at 110. Constant abdominal pain. CAT of abdomin was normal. Endoscopy forthcoming. Thin build, very occasional drinker, not family history. What is your opinion?
Wed, 16 May 2012 in Peptic Ulcer
Follow-up: High Lipase, abdominal pain, peptic ulcer disease, acid production in stomach 4 minutes later
Is it ok to wait for appt with GI doc until Apr. 20th. I am not in pain, but discomfort all the time, whether I eat or do not eat. Also, being that CAT was normal, does that rule out stomach ulcers?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 32 minutes later

Since the CAT Scan is normal, it rules out pancreatic abnormalities (Pancreatitis to be specific). But it does not rule out peptic ulcer disease. You might have to wait for the endoscopy for the proper diagnosis of ulcers.

In addition the the referance values of Serum Lipase - are - 0 to 160 units per liter (U/L). Hence your levels of 110, are within normal levels.

The most probable cause of your symptoms could be excessive acid production.

You might benefit by taking antacids like Mylanta , Maalox, etc, to neutralise the acid in the stomach. In addition, omeprazole (Prilosec) can be taken to reduce acid production in the stomach.

There is no need to panic at this moment. You can wait for your scheduled appointment with the GI doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor