High BP, on stamlo beta, losartan. Suggestion?

Dr. Jasvinder Singh

Posted on Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in General Health
Question: I am a 43 years old lady. I am having high BP since last 4 months. I was taking 0.25 mg stamlo beta and was able to reach a stable BP of 120/80. My company doctor changed the medicine to Losartan due to longterm side effect of stamlo beta. After taking losartan for 8 days my BP again shoot up to 150/90 . Again I was asked to take stamlo beta and i am taking that for last eight days and having minimum salt and regular exercise. still my BP is still 150/90. Can u suggest
How to keep a stable BP. I have attained manupause. Does it have anything to do with my high BP.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Stamlo-beta contains amlodipine and atenolol which are 2 BP lowering drugs of different classes. Amlodipine primarily causes swelling around the ankle (ankle edema) and atenolol can produce several side effects like slowing of the heart rate, a decrease in the libido, dizziness, light-headedness, depression etc.

Fortunately, losartan is free of most of these side effects and is an effective BP lowering drug.

A slight problem with losartan is that it is a short acting drug and it needs to be taken twice a day instead of once a day for stamlobeta which has a longer duration of action.

A combination of olmesartan and amlodipine is a very effective combination in reducing the blood pressure. Olmesartan is a new drug in the losartan category of drugs.

Its advantage is that it has got a longer duration of action and thus acts for 24 hours. Please discuss this with your treating physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow up: Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later
how to keep a stable BP
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

The blood pressure keeps on fluctuating throughout the day.

It is dependent on a number of factors like stress due to any cause, it changes with activity like eating, talking, laughing, walking etc.

The best way to ensure a good control of the blood pressure is by doing some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 minutes daily, avoiding any extra salt in the diet, taking the medicines regularly, avoiding smoking and not indulging in binge drinking.

Having a good 7 hours sleep at night also plays an important role in maintaining the blood pressure.