Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

High BP, not smoking, not drinking, no salt, strength training, taking thyroid medication, relocated

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I relocated too southern california from England 18mths ago, I have been on thyroid medication for 22yrs due to having thyroid cancer. Since moving here too California my blood pressure is repeatedly high (too high). I do not smoke, drink, do not eat salt (as my husband suffers from gout so I never use salt in cooking or adding it to food), I run 2hrs a day, 5 days a week, plus do weight training 3 days a week, so i am very fit, I do a lot of stamina & stength training, I have recently lost 16lbs and aim to try and loose another 14lbs, as my doctor told me to drop 20lbs, but STILL my BP is high!!!!!
I am wondering of the heat here in California may be contributing to the high BP or could it be my medication?
In England I had a stress full job, drank far more caffeine but my BP was never high, now I am not working, training/exercising more.....its higher!
Any ideas?
I rarely drink caffiene, have subsituted my training supplements for caffiene free ones,
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

I must appreciate the lifestyle that you are having. Although you are living a much healthier lifestyle in California as compared to UK, but your high BP is still a cause of concern. The high BP has got nothing to do with the environment whether it is warm or cold.

The only solution to your problem of high BP is increasing the dose of your antihypertensives( Amlodipine) or adding some new BP lowering drug like beta blockers (metoprolol, atenolol) or some diuretic to the existing regimen. For the same, I will suggest consulting a physician and getting these drugs prescribed.

Continue exercising and use the same salt restricted diet.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor