High BP, low pulse rate, advised Moxonidine. Should I take it or try it without beta blocker?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a blood pressure of about 165/80 and am on Coveram (10mg Perindopril/5mg Amlodipine), Atacand 32mg and Atenenolol 50mg. I have just seen my local doctor and he has added Moxonidine 200mcg but I see from the internet product information that it is contraindicated for people with a low pulse rate (mine runs at 45-50 bpm). should I start to take the Moxonidine? .. or should I try it without the beta-blocker?
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 50 minutes later
hi,
welcome to healthcare magic,
I read your mail, l think you are already on four anti hypertensive drugs.
your heartbeats of 45-50 because of beta blocker atenolol which you are using by you.
In this situation starting moxonidine may cause symptoms, if you want start it , first withdraw the beta blocker then start it.
Or otherwise you can increase the dose of amlodepine to 10 mg , which also reduce your blood pressure.
But these thing should be discussed with your doctor and plan it.
Mean while search for causes of resistant hypertension , like any renal failure, other medications like nsaid"s , steroids, which also increase B.P.
And start life style modification , like reduce slat intake, regular exercise,avoid stress, these may help in control of your blood pressure.
thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Thanks you for your helpful advice. I will discuss this with my local doctor and make the appropriate changes.
XXXXXXX XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 22 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
as i said previouslystart life style modification , like reduce slat intake, regular exercise,avoid stress, these may help in control of your blood pressure
With Best Wishes. If there is a question I will be happy to answer, good luck.