Hi.I have had a skin tag under my arm for

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hi.I have had a skin tag under my arm for almost 15 years or so but in ladt month or so it is seemingly grown a little bigger and red and it hurts too when touched also it seems to have some discoloration. Is that a cause of concern?
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Most like the skin tag has got infected. I suggest you to take an oral antibiotic e.g either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin for a week.
In addition to this I suggest you to apply a topical antibiotic e.g either Neosporin ointment or Mupirocin 2% ointment, twice daily. You may also take an oral anti-inflammatory e.g Ibuprofen tab for symptomatic relief from pain and swelling.

Follow-up: Hi.I have had a skin tag under my arm for 1 minute later
This is how it looks as of now

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infected skin tag

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. I have viewed the images.

Yes, it is eroded at the distal end and that is the reason it must have got infected. Perhaps the erosion is due to rubbing.

Ok.thank you very much.So there is no conern of it being malignant as that was what inwas worried about since sudden changes to it

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not a malignancy

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No. This is not a malignant change. This is expected to resolve in about a week on oral and topical antibiotics.

Follow-up: Hi.I have had a skin tag under my arm for 2 hours later
Thank you very much.I feel much better knowing that its not something too bad. Looking up online, eveeything was pointing towards skin cancef.Appreciate your advice.Thank you

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us.