Hi there is the 4th gen p24 test accurate at

Excellent

Question
Hi there is the 4th gen p24 test accurate at any stage of infection or will not detect hiv at late stage
Sat, 3 Feb 2018 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The levels may fall in later stages

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

Based on the query you have shared, yes the levels of p24 tend to fall after 6-8 weeks once the antibody to HIV is formed and neutralizes the antigen however it is more accurate between 2-6 weeks after exposure but after that routine HIV serologies come out to be positive.

The most significant advantage of this test is basically to detect antigen earlier than it appears on PCR because earliest replication can make it positive.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Regards

Follow-up: Hi there is the 4th gen p24 test accurate at 8 minutes later
The exposure was 25 years ago and recently due to symptoms tested for hiv but came back negative so I was wondering if it is a false negative

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's better to get HIV serology done

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Since the exposure is so old that virtually it rules out any chances of having HIV as by now it would have presented with it's menifestations and blood derangements in white cell counts. For reassurance you can have routine serology for HIV to rule out any possibility. Regards

Follow-up: Hi there is the 4th gen p24 test accurate at 20 hours later
I’ve had the test it’s negative so why the symptoms

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can you share the symptoms that you gave mentioned

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Since HIV tests, CBC, MRi All are not conclusive for any signs of HIV you don't have it most probably. But can you share in detail, what kind of symptoms do you mean that force you to relate it to HIV? Regards

Follow-up: Hi there is the 4th gen p24 test accurate at 4 hours later
I have multiple lymph nodes weakness mouth ulcers itching all over pain in the limbs and weakness in hands and feet and gastritis
Follow-up: Hi there is the 4th gen p24 test accurate at 1 minute later
And burning around my waistline
Follow-up: Hi there is the 4th gen p24 test accurate at 0 minute later
I asked a hiv specialist on here she stays they are not related

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Repeat HIV serology or PCR and autoimmune profile

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Based on the history you have shared, though such lesions can exist with HIV but other autoimmune conditions like vascilitis and chronic inflammatory conditions associated with lymphedenopathy and some blood malignanices also need to be ruled out. Some chronic infections may also cause such symptoms apart from HIV so it's better to consider all rather than narrowing down the possibility of HIV based on 25 yrs old exposure.

Baseline CRP, ESR, LDH levels alongwith peripheral film for atypical lymphocytes to start with. But most reliable will be to have a lymph node biopsy. For reassurance you can have PCR for HIV if you suspect viral proliferation. An infectious diseases specialist and a rheumatologist should both be consulted. Regards

Follow-up: Hi there is the 4th gen p24 test accurate at 3 hours later
So there are other diseases that mimic the same symptoms as my hiv tests and wife’s test are negative it is unlikely this is the cause and I must investigate further for other reasons

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes indeed and those should be worked up

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Yes you have rightly perceived my answer. And all the tests that we have discussed and those possibilities should be discussed with your primary care physician and opinions from infectious disease specialist and rheumatologist should be sought. Regards