Hi there, 38 year old male in reasonable health, though

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 in Lump
Question: Hi there,

38 year old male in reasonable health, though overweight and having a hard time losing. I do try to eat reasonably healthy and exercise.

I just had a quick question. In the past few months, I've noticed the top of my feet appear, for lack of a better term, veinier. I see more of the large blood vessels (light blue) as well as a few smaller reddish blood vessels. I've attached a picture, albeit it doesn't capture it as well as I would have liked (it looks darker and paler and is harder to make out the colors I'm seeing). You can see the larger blue vessels all over but especially toward the back of the foot. You can see the small red blood vessels (though they appear darker in the photo) coming from between the 2nd and 3th toe (most visible about an inch behind them). It does seem to vary - sometimes they're less visible, and other times more.

Please let me know if this is considered normal variation with aging. I have been doing a lot of walking/running on a treadmill lately for exercise, so I'm not sure if that could be doing it. (I do wear compressions socks when I run since I'm a bit heavier). No pain or numbness or anything.

Thanks!
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 0 minute later
Hi there,

Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems beginning of varicose veins

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It seems begining of varicose veins and also some spider veins. Spider veins can happen in presence of edema (fluid retention). Some exercise doesnot cause varicose veins. Strenuous exercise may cause it. It may happen due to prolonged standing or blocked veins. I will suggest a doppler of veins to exclude any obstruction.
Raising the feet while sleeping, compression stockings, and avoiding prolonged standing will help.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Seems beginning of varicose veins

Detailed Answer:

Dr Vaishalee
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Hi and thanks so much for your help.

I haven't noticed any particular fluid retention symptoms such as noticeably swollen feet, etc. I do wear compression socks when running since I have a few spider veins on my ankles (those don't appear to be any worse and I've had them for years), but the ones on the tops of my feet I haven't noticed previously.

I will be making a doctor appointment in the New Year.

Is it correct that for some people, varicose and spider vein characteristics are genetic and fairly unavoidable, but not necessarily indicating anything serious? I will talk to my doctor, but is there any cause to be overly concerned about these at this time?

Thank you!
Hi and thanks so much for your help.

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes genetic pre-disposition is there

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

The pre-disposing factors for varicose veins/spider veins might be standing jobs, advancing age, multiparity (in women), aorto-iliac stenosis or occlusion due to any reason, genomic up/down regulation. Smoking and alcohol may make it worse.

Valves in the veins are thought to become lax for some reason and the blood gets accumulated in lower veins as a result.

Currently there is no reason to be overly concerned about these symptoms. Its not an emergency. But I will definitely like to run some tests on you in coming time including complete blood count, d-dimer assay, ultrasound of abdomen, doppler test of blood vessels of legs and abdomen.

Dr Vaishalee
Brief Answer:
Yes genetic pre-disposition is there

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Dr Vaishalee